Monday, October 11, 2010

The Launching of a Dream!

Growing up, it was often the experience to walk in the back door at Grandma & Grandpa's house to the delicious aroma of cake baking.  For as long as I can remember, Grandma baked & decorated beautiful wedding cakes, and our weekends would usually be spent jumping in and helping she and Grandpa cater a wedding reception.  I learned a lot of Grandma's "secrets" and always listened to her tips in making this delightful confection come to life.

When I was 14 years old I took my first cake decorating class and Mrs. Fennel said I was a natural.  Over the years, I've dabbled in birthday cakes, shower cakes, and many special occasion cakes.  I attempted (and succeeded) my first wedding cake when I was 20 years old.  After that, I continued with the special occasion cakes, but didn't make another wedding cake until after many more years had passed.

I've always loved the creative/artsy part of cake decorating, but had seen the long hours and enormous responsibility of what catering weddings & events required, and I just wasn't sure that was the path I wanted to take.  I always said, "I'm not in the business", but in the back of my thoughts God was consistently nudging me. :)

Fast forward to 2010.  I'm baking and decorating more and more cakes.  God continues to nudge me and I have continued to not act on that nudge...until now.  He's swinging wide the doors, taking my hand, and walking me through.  He's placed in my life an amazing friend who has walked the road of entrepreneurship and who is quite successful at it.  She's helping me along the way, being incredibly generous with her advice and her business knowledge and wants to see me succeed at this dream as much as I do.  So....here we go Lord!  Jumpin' in with both feet! My family is amazingly supportive, and my Grandma, at the age of 92, has nothing but encouragement for me as she sees my dream come true.  Grandma...in honor of you, I will honor & glorify God with the talents He's given me.  Life....celebrate it with something sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment